Yup. Official. This morning I was the guest speaker at the TAG Entrepreneur’s Society Rockstar Series. They had a great turnout (especially for July). Always surprised to see a lot of suits and jackets at an entrepreneurial event… but, I guess people dress up for TAG (and TiE).
I had fun. Prepping for an event gave me an opportunity to take a drive down memory lane. I’ve lived in a lot of interesting places, worked on a number of challenging opportunities and had the opportunity to work with some REAL rockstars.
I focused a lot on my days at my first startup, eTour. I did so, because….
- it was interesting
- it was fun
- it was big
But, even more than that… it was a GREAT learning experience.
If you missed my presentation today, sorry. Not sure, if/when I will ever be given to talk about my background for an hour ever again. 😉
But, here are some of my lessons learned:
- If you are doing something you love, the concept of time disappears.
- Do things differently. It may get you in trouble some of the time, but, it will ALWAYS get you noticed.
- Fake it till you make it.
- If you want something ASK for it. But, realize you may need to walk away to receive it.
- It takes a team & communicate, communicate, communicate. There is NO such thing as overcommunication.
- The rise is a marathon, the fall is a sprint.
- Make fast decisions and act on them quickly.
- If you make a bad hire, admit it and correct it quickly.
- It’s all about connections.
Each of these deserves a blog post… I’m sure I’ll get around to it one of these days. 🙂