I just moved this blog from a WordPress.com site to a site hosted on the Rackspace Cloud (Cloudsites). AND I’m amazed how easy it was!
The steps I followed:
- Set up the site on Rackspace Cloudsites. Select Linux as your OS. PHP as the language and set up a MySQL database. Remember/write down the MySQL Database for future use.
- Go to the WordPress.org site and download the most recent stable version of WordPress. Unzip it to a directory on your computer.
- Log into your WordPress.com site and export your site to an XML file and download it to a directory on your computer.
- FTP to your new Rackspace Cloudsite and upload the CONTENTS of the WordPress directory. I placed it in the web/content, because my site is only a wordpress site. If this site is a blog within another site, you may wish to upload it to a “blog” directory.
- Visit the temporary website address provided by Rackspace. Append /wp-admin/install.php to the end. This will begin the Installation of WordPress.
- The first page will ask you for your database information from step 1.
- Run the install and voila, you have a wordpress site.
- Login to the admin, change your password.
- When in the WordPress Admin, go to tools and select import. Import from WordPress and import the XML file you saved in step 3.
- Via ftp delete the index.html file in the main directory where you installed wordpress and you will now be able to see your site at the temporary URL.
- Go to your domain hosting company and update the DNS records to point to Rackspace.
- Lastly, upload your themes, widgets, and customize to your hearts content.
Pretty easy and all-in-all took me less than 2 hours!